Naked

3:29 PMUnknown

Inspiration: "Ode to Broken Things" by Pablo Neruda

"So many useless things 
which nobody broke
but which got broken anyway"


Throughout our lives, we accumulate so many useless things. So many shitty things that we shove in the back of our closets and forget about. So many things that we try to bury with new experiences but can't. They always resurface. So many, many stupid things. I have tons of things I once thought held some significance to me, but now I cannot even remember where they came from. I have so many things I have associated with good memories and I hold onto these things hoping that they will somehow make that memory come to life. 

Sometimes I go searching through my boxes of useless things looking for a particular moment. But that feeling never comes back. I can never feel the same way I felt when I actually lived and experienced that moment. Sometimes I find this useless memory and realize that it is broken and it will never get fixed. That's when I decide to let this stupid thing go and just throw it away. 

Things break all the time. Your watch. Your mind. Your car. Your heart. Your spirit. The key to keeping sane is to let things go. Caring about the things that are broken, and holding onto these useless things means we are living in the past. We are not in the present. We are not fully enjoying the new memories we are creating because we are holding onto shitty carnival stuffed animals, party beads, and concert tickets.

Sometimes I open all of my drawers and my closet and I just want to get rid of it all. All of these things--these worldly possessions that I could never take away with me when I die--seem so insignificant to me sometimes. The only thing I will forever treasure is my memory--the way I have lived life. Even if I try to contain it in a scrapbook to share with someone else, the way I have seen the world is all mine and it is something that I will take away with me. No one will experience what I have the way that I have. What will happen to me when my memory fails me? What will happen when it breaks?

I want to get rid of everything that is useless and broken. I want to rid myself of everything that is meaningless. I want to throw away all the knick-knacks, all the dried flowers, and all the party favors I have accumulated. I want to make new, great, and naked memories. Who wants to walk around and live the world naked with me?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Not to be really fucking sappy, but aren't we all a little broken? I think it's probably the better course to accept things that are broken as broken, rather than pining for the things we can't fix (which, I think, is part of what you meant).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, you are not sappy at all. Those are my sentiments exactly. You are broken; accept it and get over it.

      Delete

Contact Form