Swim

11:21 AMUnknown

Inspiration: "Skinny Love" by Bon Iver

Complacency is a hell of a drug. As human beings, we become complacent with the way things are because it is what we are used to. It is routine. So we decide to settle because sometimes just the slightest change gives us anxiety. We drag along things that are long dead.We do the same things, like clockwork, even though we can't stand them. We continue that sport or hobby because, by now, it's the only thing we are good at. We are afraid to move, so we just sit and stare at the wall, watching the paint slowly start to peel.

Some of us are content with sitting in big La-Z-Boy chairs watching the world pass us by. Some of us are content with the comfort of the expected. Of the routine. Of the ordinary. Some of us live life almost as if in a fog, or as if in a dream. Not fully conscious, not fully present, not fully in the moment. Just mindlessly going along with the way things are. Accepting things for what they are. Never questioning. Never altering our lives because that would cause a ripple in the ocean, and quite frankly, some of us can't swim. And some never care to learn and never care to get over their fears of water. Some people take comfort in their fears because that fear is what they are used to. They drag that fear along with them across the sand looking out to the sea but never going in their whole life,  because they are content knowing that that fear will always be there. They are complacent.

I am still rubbing my eyes and trying to remove the crust of sleep, but I am glad that I woke up. I am glad that this year I decided to confront all of the fears I have had. I am glad that I am not only causing ripples in the waters of my life, I am causing tsunamis. I am glad that I stopped dragging along things that were dead long, long ago. I got pretty tired of the smell of decomposition so I decided to stop holding onto skinny things. Things that were superficial. Things that no longer mattered. Things that were no longer significant in my life. Things that would never come back to life, no matter how hard I tried to resurrect them. I took a look in the mirror and questioned myself for a second. Who was I? But all I had to do was start peeling off the moldy layers to remember. I just had to alter the course that this version of me was on to find comfort in the chaos of my life as opposed to the routine I was used to. I just had to start working on overcoming my fears to start bringing out the best version of me in this multiverse.

I just had to let go. Jump. Dive in. Go under. Come up. Breathe. Change.

Goodbye LA. Hello East Bay.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Contact Form